[Cryptech Tech] Roadmap & remarks about the opportunity of developing a secure TOR router on the Novena platform.

★ STMAN ★ stman at riseup.net
Wed Aug 6 08:50:57 UTC 2014

Hello Joachim,

I agree with you :

No, of course, I don’t trust Xilinx implementation of PCIe as it is impossible to check the corresponding VHDL code.
Now, there are many « Free VHDL PCIe cores » available on OpenCore.

But in the project we want to develop, this may not be such a big problem : The workaround would be to cipher all the messages we exchange on the PCIe bus.

And in the particular project we are planing : It would mean using the PCIe bus to exchange TCP/IP paquets with the Secure TOR router :
- We would have a driver on the PC hooking TCP/IP stack packets to encrypt and send them to the PCIe TOR Router end-point, so if the PCIe has some backdoors, as we would cipher the data sent through it, these backdoors would be useless.

Do you agree with this approach ?