[Cryptech Tech] Roadmap & remarks about the opportunity of developing a secure TOR router on the Novena platform.

★ STMAN ★ stman at riseup.net
Sat Aug 2 23:18:45 UTC 2014

Thank you very much for your contribution Bernd, I fully agree with all what you said. C language is a problem, but it is also a standard. Correcting efficiently C language « weaknesses » like intensive stack usage cannot be achieved securely through software technics : StackShield and StackGuard technics have partly failed, and they don’t block ROP exploitation.

Let’s say that for the first version of the secure processor, the main goals were to « cancel » by design, from the hardware :

- Stack Overflow security breach.
- Buffer Overflow security breach.
- ROP exploitation technics.

It has been more than one year study to find the tricks to do it definitly.

The planned next step, in the future, are to block the « Interger Overflow » familly security breach, and reaching the goals you are talking about.

We already found a way to do it, but unfortunatly it won’t be available in the first version, because this time, its implementation in VHDL requires a lot of work.

But as far as we know, this last family of security breach «  Interger Overflow » should be completly solved.

For now, with the current design of the architecture of the processor, we partialy « cancel » it. Some would say what we are doing is enough to solve the problem, but I think it would really worth it to implement our full solution so that we could ensure that they are definitly stopped.

Then, about TOR Routers :

Yes : Once again, I fully agree with you. One of the most efficient strategies to achieve security is simplification. This is why our goal with Linus would be to have TOR running without any OS to reduce the attack surface.
Of course, we still need to link the code with some libraries like SSL and a TCP/IP stack, but understand that with no possibility to use the security breach mentionned above, any « standard low level attack » on this, even if not perfect (Containing overflows) would be blocked.

This is to me already a huge step forward.

I’m looking forward to hearing from you.

And thank again for your contribution.

PS : This secure processor project is an open project. I you are interested in it, feel free to join the team. Any kind of contribution like your last post is very welcome.

Kind regards,

@Stman.