[Cryptech Tech] RNG test tools wiki page

Benedikt Stockebrand bs at stepladder-it.com
Sat Aug 2 10:23:23 UTC 2014

Hi Bernd and list,

Bernd Paysan <bernd at net2o.de> writes:

> No, you perform a meta-test, that is you test how a larger number of tests
> work.  The idea here is that all these tests test independent statistical
> properties, so they should behave like independent variables, and such
> independent variables in a random sample have properties you can analyze.
> E.g. they distribute evenly.  And they change independent when used on new,
> independent data.

now I get what you mean: You don't mean different test algorithms, but
the same test algorithm over multiple samples.

Yes, that makes sense, and that's also what dieharder generally does;
this is the "psamples" value, and the statistics over the test results
you refer to is the "p-value".  There are however a few tests where this
doesn't make sense with dieharder; those are run with a psamples=1 and a
suitably high tsamples (which determines the input length of an
individual test) instead.

Cheers,

    Benedikt

--
Benedikt Stockebrand,                   Stepladder IT Training+Consulting
Dipl.-Inform.                           http://www.stepladder-it.com/

          Business Grade IPv6 --- Consulting, Training, Projects

BIVBlog---Benedikt's IT Video Blog: http://www.stepladder-it.com/bivblog/