[Cryptech Core] info about commons conservancy

Rob Austein sra at hactrn.net
Fri Sep 21 04:48:15 UTC 2018

My 0.02 EUR:

* All-electronic voting systems are evil, at least for the foreseeable
  future (hypothetical future systems are a different conversation).

  I phrased it this way because "electronic voting machines" covers a
  wide variety of sins, and I don't have a problem with electronic
  tabulation so long as the original ballots are human-readable paper
  and are retained in case of a contested election result.  Where I
  live we use pen-and-paper ballots with electronic tabulation and
  ballot retention, which is fairly robust.

* If the Commons Conservancy *as an organization* has taken a position
  in support of all-electronic voting, that might be a credibility
  problem for us.  Similarly, if an obvious majority of the Commons
  Conservancy staff have taken a public position in favor of
  all-electronic voting, that too might be a credibility problem.

* If a small number of staff members of the Commons Conservancy have
  taken a position in favor of all-electronic voting, well, they're
  wrong, but I happen to believe that people acting as individuals
  have the right to hold wrong opinions, and, more to the point, I
  don't think that one or two individuals holding wrong opinions would
  by itself constitutes a credibility problem by association for us.