[Cryptech Core] CrypTech hardware license

Peter Stuge peter at stuge.se
Thu Dec 13 13:11:13 UTC 2018

Phil Roberts wrote:
> > What are the specific concerns that the different lawyers informally had?
>
> as above " they have suggested that because what
> one is licensing with the hardware is the designs of it, something
> other than BSD is needed."

That's not specific at all, which is why I asked for specific details.

What are their concrete concerns with using BSD for hardware source code?

How and why would the BSD license be a problem for Diamond Key or anyone else?

In which jurisdiction? Because of what law or precedent? Etc.

>> The hardware design license is relevant between CrypTech and Diamond Key.
>
> This is why I am bringing it up.

You're not explaining your issue though, and we need to understand it.

"lawyers informally suggested" is roughly equal to "I found a note on
the street saying".

>> Because the BSD license used by CrypTech is obviously very permissive
>> (on purpose) I have to wonder how Diamond Key would be able to get
>> itself into trouble.

I think you have to explain that for your issue to be taken seriously.

Thanks!

//Peter