[Cryptech Core] CrypTech hardware license

Phil Roberts roberts at dkey.org
Wed Dec 12 23:04:20 UTC 2018

    > I am fine with BSD as a principle (more than fine, and very flexible__).
    > I've had conversations with a couple of different lawyers informally
    > about what we are doing and they have suggested that because what
    > one is licensing with the hardware is the designs of it, something
    > other than BSD is needed.

    What are the specific concerns that the different lawyers informally had?

>> as above " they have suggested that because what
    > one is licensing with the hardware is the designs of it, something
    > other than BSD is needed."

    I for one think that you should consult with lawyers with experience
    with both open software and hardware in your jurisdiction. Unfortunately
    I suspect that it may be difficult to find some. :\

>> We interviewed three and hired one.

    If Diamond Key sells me a product then I own that one instance of the
    product, period. No hardware license is relevant. I've purchased the object.

    The hardware design license is relevant between CrypTech and Diamond Key.

>> This is why I am bringing it up.

    Because the BSD license used by CrypTech is obviously very permissive
    (on purpose) I have to wonder how Diamond Key would be able to get
    itself into trouble.

    //Peter