[Cryptech Core] Alpha rev.03

Fredrik Thulin fredrik at thulin.net
Fri Jun 17 08:04:41 UTC 2016

On torsdag 16 juni 2016 kl. 20:21:13 CEST Peter Stuge wrote:
> Fredrik Thulin wrote:
> > What I was thinking was that you would make your daughter board fit
> > over both the USB-UART headers, as well as the AVR GPIO header for
> > increased stability, as well as to get the 3V3 then.
>
> I'm looking at using the STM32_SWD header as power supply. I want to
> avoid AVR_GPIO to not cover PANIC BUTTON. I want to avoid AVR_ISP to
> not cover the U9 FTDI chip. The /RESET resistor is easily reachable
> from the USB board, I'll add pads so that a wire can be soldered to
> keep the FTDIs in reset.
>

> What kind of cable or board was so far used to connect to STM32_SWD?
> The ST-Link?

Yes, flat cable to the ST-LINK on NUCLEO and DISCOVERY boards. If you want to
go through the effort, you should be able to route the SWD signals through
your board so one could attach the ST-LINK without removing the daughter
board... I've seen these extra long pin headers that would extend the header
through your board, if you understand what I mean.

> I'm asking in order to make a useful extension on top of the USB
> board while avoiding hitting the inside of the case.

The top of the case can be removed separately. I think your board won't fit in
the case with standard pin header mating with the top on.

The pin headers on the Alpha would have to be shortened and you would have to
have half-height receptors on your board (don't know if those exist), or the
daughter board would need to be soldered onto the pins from the Alpha in order
to get the daughter board low enough to not touch the inside of the top of the
case.