[Cryptech Core] modexp optimization plans (was: Re: teleconf?)

Peter Stuge peter at stuge.se
Sat Jun 20 09:57:06 UTC 2015

Randy Bush wrote:
> > There isn't really a problem with modexp or bignum functionality wise as
> > I see it.
>
> i view needing an extra word for the result as the same as a double
> entry bookkeeping error of one cent.

Remember to think about hardware in terms of hardware.

In a 32-bit processor most arithmetic operates on 33 bits. You even
have access to the 33:rd bit. Homework question: What is it called?

> we know there is something wrong

Nothing is wrong. The extra word is merely an unusual user interface,
a word instead of a bit, and while I think it's fair to say that this
is a cosmetic and usability problem that should be fixed I also think
Joachim's outline and priorities address it well.

//Peter