[Cryptech Core] conversation with bitsim

Fredrik Thulin fredrik at thulin.net
Tue Jun 9 12:42:20 UTC 2015

On Tuesday, June 09, 2015 02:27:52 PM Leif Johansson wrote:
> I was quite open about the fact that several in the project had
> expressed the belief that with the M4, we could produce schema with
> our current resources.
>
> So the question is this: should we pay bitsim (a couple of 10s of kSEK
> probably) to work up a better estimate or should we keep this option
> in reserve for later?

Because of the ongoing business discussions with Bitsim, we've had some
conversations about this off-list - apologies for that. Now that you've talked
with Bitsim I want to re-capitulate those discussions on the list quickly:

Pavel, Joachim and I think we can actually make the schematics for the Alpha
ourselves, after the move to the ARM M4.

We said in Stockholm that I would make a small "bridge board" to connect one
of the M4 mcu:s to the FPGA on the Novena, for FMC interface development.
Pavel made the suggestion that once we have that board, he can add an Artix-7
FPGA (with required power etc.) to the schematics and then we can get a PCB
layout made from these schematics.

I think we should make sure to keep a good relationship with Bitsim for the
future, but if we choose to make an attempt at making the schematics ourselves
I do not think we need a better estimate from them at this time.