[Cryptech Core] Questions regarding existing documentation

Peter Stuge peter at stuge.se
Wed Aug 12 13:17:15 UTC 2015

Randy Bush wrote:
> we are caught between two philosophies.  one is to create arbitrary
> and many repos

I do not support creating arbitrary repos.

I very strongly support creating many repos, when many repos are
adequate, but there's nothing arbitrary about it.

One repo per logical entity, one commit per logical change.
Good repo names, good repo commit messages.

Achieving this isn't always easy.

> and tie some together when you want to make a coherent bundle
> (e.g. a release).

A bundle isn't just for release, but is very important both for
ongoing work and for cursory inspections by unsuspecting passers-by.

Git submodules are a really good way to model relationships between
repos, and I support using that at all times when any such
relationship exists.

I expect to clone --recursive a single repo to build a bitstream.
Anything else is at the very least incomplete structure. These
different single repos need to be documented, so that someone can get
an overview without reading every single repo README.

(This may already be done. I don't know.)

> some of us come from more formal cultures.  we're trying to be polite.

What does that even mean? Are you saying that we're incapable of
adapting to new tools? I don't see that.

//Peter