[Cryptech Core] Tools and strategies for communication during development

Linus Nordberg linus at nordberg.se
Tue May 20 11:45:48 UTC 2014

Randy Bush <randy at psg.com> wrote
Tue, 20 May 2014 14:41:17 +0300:

| > Security: You use TLS to connect to a server. You create channels
| > (i.e. chat rooms) as you wish. Protected with a pass phrase or based on
| > authorisation with the server if you wish. I would suggest we refrain
| > from doing this. All admins, and some, on the IRC network you're using
| > can read every line you're typing.
|
| so authentication of users solely is passphrase?

Depends on the network. Many let you authenticate using SASL or x509
client certs.

| > Persistence: IRC has been around since the late 80's and doesn't seem
| > to be dying quite yet.
|
| sorry.  as we discused, when i log in monday morning, will it show me
| all that happened on the weekend?  in the same view as current chat?
| i.e. can i just scroll back.

That's where screen comes into play. Or nohup if you prefer that. You
let your IRC client (irssi in my example) solve that. There are other
solutions, often called bouncers, to which you connect your client and
collect logs of what's happened since last time. I'd suggest skipping
that for now.