[Cryptech Core] Cryptech file server?

Rob Austein sra at hactrn.net
Sat Jun 7 15:45:19 UTC 2014

At Sat, 07 Jun 2014 08:32:56 -0700, Randy Bush wrote:

> > btsync will probably be just the thing to use.
>
> so i went to see, and
>
>   o the linux/freebsd clients assume a workstation with desktop etc.
>     no server version.
>
>   o it is closed source, black box.
>
> i am bummed.
>
> rob, bright ideas?

I think we're suffering from a lack of clarity on what we're trying to
accomplish here.  What is the role of the server in this picture?

if you want a "file server" with public read acccess, you want
somethin boring.  SFTP for read/write and HTTPS for read-only would be
my recommendation, but I can also support read/write via WebDAV if
people really prefer that (the usual reason for preferring WebDAV is
that the desktop environment on most modern platforms can work with it
as a filesystem, which makes some people happier than a protocol that
makes them think about the files living somewhere else).

If btsync as it is does what you want, hey, just use it, and don't
worry about the lack of a server, you're just using it to share files
with your friends, why do you need a server?

So it comes back to: what are you trying to accomplish?