[Cryptech Core] Mailing lists and charters

Joachim Strömbergson joachim at secworks.se
Wed Feb 5 09:37:18 UTC 2014

I've had a few discussions with LinusN regarding the different mailing
lists (and we have also had a few discussions on the mailing lists too).

The lists and short charter are described here:

Right now we have four lists:

* announce
* tech
* core
* org

@announce is pretty easy to understand. Releases, Vulnerabilties etc.

@tech is the where the technical discussions about the stuff we are
developing. Also pretty easy.

@org is about financing and administration. Does that include system
administration issues such as (for example) git repo problems?

And then we have @core. From experience in FreeBSD I can understand
having a core team list with a smaller (and controlled) number of
participants where strategic discussions can be handled among the
project principals. But I (and Linus) are a bit afraid that we risk
creating a "we vs them"-situation with this separation. We want to be
open and inclusionary. Both as a way of getting interest and support,
but also to build trust.

I (we) therefore have a bit of a problem understanding the separation of
discussions in @core with discussions in @tech and to some extent
discussions in @org.

Do we really need @core? What purpose does it solve and can those
problems be handled in other ways?

And regarding sysadmin issues - are they part of the "admin" charter for
@org? To me they may be so. It os not as if the list is swamped with
mails. OTOH having an open maillist for sysadmin things might be good.

My suggestion is to merge @core and @org (into @org). And possibly
update charter for @org to clarify what admin means.

(I have issues regarding the git repo that may be well worth discussion
among more persons than me and Linus and Rob. But I am sort of stuck on
where to send them.)

 Joachim Strömbergson          Secworks AB          joachim at secworks.se