[Cryptech Tech] USB interface

Peter Stuge peter at stuge.se
Wed Apr 15 22:15:59 UTC 2020

Fredrik Thulin wrote:
> > > 2. Add CTS+RTS to the UART interface
> >
> > I discovered that CTS+RTS are actually already connected to the USER FTDI
> > in the rev03 schematic, but not to the MGMT FTDI. So at least some of the
> > routing already exists!
>
> I must be misunderstanding what you mean with "connected" because I see both
> FT_MGMT_CTS and FT_MGMT_RTS in the schematic and on the KiCAD converted board
> layout. See the attached screenshot with FT_MGMT_CTS highlighted.

You're absolutely right, the signals are routed for both ports. Great!

I don't know why I thought that it wasn't in the schematic. It's right there.
Thanks for the correction.

If we want to include a header for a USB daughterboard also in a new
design (I think it is still useful) then let's please use a 2x5 header
with this pinout, which should be uncontroversial since it's backwards
compatible and just adds signals that I forgot to ask for in rev03.

GND 1 2 VBUS
 D+ 3 4 D-
TXD 5 6 RXD
RTS 7 8 CTS
RST 9 10 VCCO_3V3

Pins 1-6 remain unchanged from rev03 J2,J3. Signal names for pins 5&6
changed, and all signal names are as seen from the STM32, ie. pin 5
transmits data from STM32 to a daughterboard.

I think this makes more sense than the current net names which are as
seen from the USB chip.

Pin 9 is an active low reset for the onboard interface. Only when pin
9 is connected to GND on the daughterboard is it permitted to drive
D+, D-, RXD and CTS.

Full disclosure: We assume this header on our first PCI Express test
board, so this particular pinout could make our lives a little easier.

//Peter