[Cryptech Tech] USB interface

Joachim Strömbergson joachim at assured.se
Tue Apr 7 05:41:08 UTC 2020

Aloha!

On 2020-04-06 23:08, Peter Stuge wrote:
> For a new Cryptech design, the STM32 interface *could* change. I think
> I remember that Pavel and I looked up that our Alpha STM32 UART can do
> 4Mbps. A different electrical interface, say SPI, would approach 10x that,
> perhaps making some new symmetric crypto streaming use cases viable.
>
> But changing from UART to anything else on STM32 requires even more software.
>
> However, it would also be possible to wire both UART and e.g. SPI up,
> and only ever use UART to begin with. That works with no software change.

I think this is a very intriguing idea. If you and Pavel can work out
which components to use and update the design with this we have added
infrastructure to allow future improvements with just SW.

How much effort would replacing the FTDI chips and adding extra wires
between the new chips for SPI be?

> Ideally I'd like to have such an initial firmware version working already
> by the time we must decide if we jump off the cliff. Do we know when that is?

Estimate and decision pretty much about right now. ;-)

Joachim Strömbergson