[Cryptech Tech] Lattice boards for developing a custom master key memory

Pavel Shatov meisterpaul1 at yandex.ru
Thu May 10 12:32:55 UTC 2018

08.05.2018 15:39, Joachim Strömbergson пишет:

> Pavel Shatov wrote:
>> Speaking of asynchronous signals, I think the original idea was to
>> have several tamper detection inputs in the tiny MKM FPGA. Suppose
>> that they are active-low, this way as soon as a tamper event from
>> a certain sensor is detected, the corresponding input goes low.
>> Tamper detection inputs can be AND'ed together and routed to the
>> reset signals of the flops where the master key stored. This way
>> the master key can we wiped asynchronously and even if the clock
>> signal is stopped for whatever reason.
>
> As long as we can guarantee (as in really guarantee) that we never
> get a drop on the input by mistake (glitches, drops etc) then sure
> Your, Stuges and Fredriks knowledge on supply, board design, signal
> integrity will be needed here.

I kind of understand Peter's concerns about register's reset input being
over sensitive and that potentially it can react to a glitch, but, well,
taper detection input is supposed to be sensitive, isn't it? I believe
that with careful board design we can avoid any glitches. I may be
wrong, but what I understood from Jacob's talk during the f2f was that
reaction time is very important. In that sense not having any
synchronous elements between tamper inputs and flip-flop reset inputs is
more attractive, because if we want to sample inputs pins, we need at
least a 2-stage synchronizer to not run into metastability, so the
reaction time will be 3 clock cycles at least.

--
With best regards,
Pavel Shatov