[Cryptech Tech] Seeking comments on a proposal for changes to the Cryptech RNG design.

Peter Gutmann pgut001 at cs.auckland.ac.nz
Thu Mar 22 20:53:09 UTC 2018

Manuel Domke <crypt at 13-37.org> writes:

>I see there is a need to make it smaller/faster but I don't think its a good
>option to "downgrade" to SHA-256.

It doesn't matter what you use since it's being used as a PRF, not through a
need for collision resistance or some similar property.  Anything will do.
Many years ago (20+) I had a discussion with a cryptographer who strongly
extolled the virtues of CRC32 as a mixing function, for reasons that have
faded with time and even then seemed a bit theoretical to me.

In any case this is one thing you really don't need to worry about.

Peter.