[Cryptech Tech] Getting sync_fmc branch to work

Joachim Strömbergson joachim at assured.se
Thu Dec 20 12:48:08 UTC 2018

Aloha!

First: Great work. That was one blizzard of commits.

On 2018-12-20 12:57, Pavel Shatov wrote:
> Now the bad news. For some reason the new bitstream (`fpga show cores'
> should report ECDSA version 0.20 instead of 0.11 now) fails
> unit-tests.py. It locks up in hal_get_random() waiting for the valid bit
> of CSPRNG core to go high. If I disable this test, it locks up a bit
> further in 'test_attribute_bloat_token_big' which calls hal_uuid_gen()
> which in its turn again calls hal_get_random(). If I drop FMC clock to
> 60 MHz (line 156 of stm-fmc.c sets the divisor: 2 is for 90 MHz, 3 is
> for 60 MHz), then all the tests pass just fine. This is strange because
> we've already seen this situation, but then we clearly had failed
> timing, while now everything should be fine. I haven't done any thorough
> investigation yet, my very preliminary guess is that maybe we need to
> change the number of taps in the ring oscillator entropy source or
> something like that. I do have a platform cable, so given hints on where
> to look I can try to debug, but I suggest that someone first tries to
> reproduce the situation, because maybe I'm doing something wrong (not
> pulled latest changes from Joachim, etc...)

Strange.

Could you try and rerun the unit-tests a while later (as in minutes)
without resetting the FPGA. Basically run unit-tests, see that it hangs
and abort. Wait a while and run unit-tests later.

If it is the ROSC core not delivering values, and that the RNG hasn't
yet initalized the CSPRNG and isn't ready to deliver random values it
should get to that point eventually. There are timeouts for the mixer to
wait for entropy from the entropy providers. As long as the external
avalanche source is alive, the mixer will end up with enough entropy
words. It will just take a number of timeouts for each word that it
should get from the ROSC core.

Joachim Strömbergson
                               Assured AB