[Cryptech Tech] Lattice boards for developing a custom master key memory

Olof Kindgren olof.kindgren at gmail.com
Thu Apr 26 20:03:06 UTC 2018

On Thu, Apr 26, 2018 at 3:13 PM, Joachim Strömbergson <
joachim.strombergson at assured.se> wrote:

> Aloha!
>
> Clifford Wolf, not Stoll. Sorry for the mixup.
>
> Joachim Strömbergson wrote:
> > Aloha!
> >
> > As you might have seen here previously, we have discussed building
> > our own tamper protected master key memory. The idea is to use a
> > tiny, low power FPGA. The FPGA contains logic needed to implement:
> >
> > 1. Interface to the main FPGA. Currently SPI, but consider UART.
> >
> > 2. Storage of a master key with logic for anti-remanence (controlled
> > periodic bit flipping.
> >
> > 3. Fast (ns) key erasure when detecting an event on an external
> > input.
> >
> > We are currently considering using the Lattice ICE devices. One of
> > the chief reasons is the project IceStorm by Clifford stoll.
> >
> > http://www.clifford.at/icestorm/
> >
> > With the tool flow in Icestorm we should be able to show that the
> > secure storage and protection of the "crown jewels", the master key
> > does not rely on the implicit trust of proprietary tools and black
> > box device features.
> >
> > I'm considering buying one of the following boards. Neither of them
> > are expensive. Both should have ample resources for what we intend to
> > do. The question is more which one is easiest to interface to the
> > Cryptech Alpha board for testing. Unless I'm missing some important
> > detail.
> >
> > http://www.latticesemi.com/icestick
> > http://www.latticesemi.com/en/Products/DevelopmentBoardsAndKits/
> iCE40HX8KBreakoutBoard.aspx
> >
> >  If you have any suggestions, comments, feedback I would appreciate
> > them.

> - --
> Med vänlig hälsning, Yours
>
> Joachim Strömbergson - Assured AB

There's a ton of iCE40 boards coming out on the market, most of the small
and cheap. I think Luke Valenty's TinyFPGA B2 board deserves a special
mention (as well as the just crowd-funded BX model (for which I thought you
were a backer (nested comments makes me feel like writing LISP code))).

The main points of the B2 (
https://www.tindie.com/products/tinyfpga/tinyfpga-b2/) would be that it
uses the Teensy form factor, which is pretty small but still usable for
manual soldering. It also comes with a pure verilog FPGA bootloader which
makes it easy to upload new bitstreams. The FPGA bootloader has of course
FuseSoC support too :)

//Olof