[Cryptech Tech] Onchip Open-V TRNG

Bernd Paysan bernd at net2o.de
Wed Jul 26 00:12:46 UTC 2017

Am Dienstag, 25. Juli 2017, 03:13:37 CEST schrieb Peter Stuge:
> Columbian Onchip designed a TRNG peripheral into their microcontroller.
> They use a ring oscillator with seemingly simple postprocessing. Their
> paper:
>
> https://github.com/onchipuis/mriscv/blob/master/fully-synthesized-trng.pdf

I don't understand the reason why to use a three-wave ring oscillator.  The
overall jitter goes down with the length of the ring oscillator, which is why
I designed a very short one, using the fastest delay elements available (the
carry chain in the FPGA). This is not even a linear effect, because the ultra-
short one has often setup and hold violations when sampled, and these increase
the actual noise. An explanation could be that after using a long ring
oscillator with very poor jitter, they went to the three-wave design, and due
to more setup and hold violations, their entropy got up.

Our current post-conditioner is xor-collapsing all the sampled rosc_outs, and
shifting that into a shift register.  This seems to work quite well.

What I originally had proposed as post-conditioner hasn't been implemented, it
should do

    entropy_new = { entropy[30:0], entropy[31] } ^ rosc_dout;

every single cycle so that the different sources should smear across the
entire width of the entropy, and the biases should go away, too (if you sample
entropy only at even rounds, there is no way a bias in rosc_dout can be
observed).  This should get a considerably higher bandwidth of entropy with
about the same gate count, or allow us to use less roscs to produce the same
bandwidth.

--
Bernd Paysan
net2o ID: kQusJzA;7*?t=uy at X}1GWr!+0qqp_Cn176t4(dQ*