[Cryptech Tech] RSA blinding (was: Re: Fun RSA implementation vulnerability: left-to-right sliding window modexp)

Warren Kumari warren at kumari.net
Mon Jul 3 21:43:16 UTC 2017

On Mon, Jul 3, 2017 at 4:48 AM, Peter Gutmann <pgut001 at cs.auckland.ac.nz> wrote:
> Rob Austein <sra at hactrn.net> writes:
>
>>We've left RSA blinding enabled unconditionally in all cases for now, out of
>>paranoia, but would be interested in opinions from wider heads about how
>>necessary this really is.
>
> Definitely a good idea in any case.  Most of the side-channel attacks require
> repeated sampling of an operation and then statistical analysis to break out
> the details of interest, with randomisation each time you're making that a lot
> harder.
>
> Russ Housley <housley at vigilsec.com> writes:
>
>>If the Verilog is constant-time and constant-power-consumption, then the
>>major side channels are protected.
>
> I don't think anyone's ever managed to do a constant-time, constant-power,
> constant-EMI, constant-* implementation of something like that have they?  You
> occasionally get conference papers demonstrating some new side-channel-
> analysis-resistant implementation, but then the following year at the same
> conference you get another paper un-demonstrating it.
>
> The thing is, for hardware you don't actually need to have a side-channel-
> resistant implementation.  For software you do because the person writing the
> conference paper can give themselves whatever privileges they need to perform
> the attack (hostile code running on the same CPU with insight into the cache
> or memory access patterns or whatever), but with an HSM you define how far
> they can go, and that's the outside of the HSM.
>
> There's a twenty-year-old HSM, IBM's 4758, that was resistant to pretty much
> all of the side-channel attacks that came along after it was developed, not
> because the developers were magically aware of them but because they used good
> engineering practice, power supply decoupling, filtering, etc (I asked them
> about how they managed it and that was their explanation, we designed it
> properly from the outset).

Wow, the 4758 brings back memories -- after reading
https://www.cl.cam.ac.uk/~rnc1/descrack/ I spent many hours on eBay
and similar trying to find an inexpensive one to play with.

I eventually found one which someone had previously poked at and
destroyed, and spent many happy hours unpotting it... I think I still
have bits of it lurking in a box somewhere...