[Cryptech Tech] field upgrade

Basil Dolmatov dol at reedcat.net
Thu May 5 04:38:56 UTC 2016

dol@ с iPad

> 5 мая 2016 г., в 1:00, Paul Selkirk <paul at psgd.org> написал(а):
>
> During yesterday's meeting, Fredrik, Pavel, and I brainstormed DFU for
> the ARM.
>

> Since upgrade requires opening the case and inserting jumpers, by
> definition this tampers the device, and the user has to generate a new
> master key and re-load any externally-generated keys. That's probably
> obvious, but I wanted to state it explicitly.

If as a term "master key" is referring to a technological key, which is used for enciphering other keys in the board key storage, then OK (provided there is escrow technology and procedure for other keys bidirectional transfer).

Considering the board being in ALPHA stage, one can expect as bug fix releases of firmware, as well as feature releases, so software upgrade process should not be considered as extraordinary and should not disrupt device operation with long-term keys