[Cryptech Tech] road to berlin

Fredrik Thulin fredrik at thulin.net
Mon May 2 07:43:47 UTC 2016

On Monday, May 02, 2016 12:37:50 AM Paul Selkirk wrote:
> The AVR has to do approximately the following:
> - receive a tamper interrupt from an external circuit (currently a panic
> button)
> - wipe the MKM
> - raise an interrupt on the ARM, so it can do whatever it needs to do
> - light an LED (red, of course)
>
> If we get that right, we might never have to upgrade the AVR.

I agree. I would consider it nice to have (or harmful =) ) to have a software
upgrade path for the AVR before Berlin. We could absolutely make a way to
transfer firmware to the AVR from the FPGA using GPIOs, but with close to zero
benefit at this stage.

My reasoning:

The whole tamper circuitry is currently a development module. It is nice to
have a way to erase any keys in the device when re-purposing it or similar,
but it currently requires pressing a button on the bottom side of the PCB. If
someone wants to actually add tamper protection to the Alpha using the AVR
GPIOs, it is not unreasonable to expect them to program the AVR using an ISP
programmer connected to the programming header.

So the main reason to make DFU for the AVR I can see would be to streamline
manufacturing, and I think we have other things to focus on first.