[Cryptech Tech] NIST and RNG

Bernd Paysan bernd at net2o.de
Fri Jan 29 19:50:05 UTC 2016

Am Freitag, 29. Januar 2016, 10:04:44 schrieb Russ Housley:
> > https://fcw.com/articles/2016/01/28/crypto-nist-generator.aspx
>
> This is a significant improvement over the past, where NIST has a very short
> list of approved PRNG algorithms, and the only place a vendor could
> innovate was the way the selected algorithm got seeded.

Oh, there was another possible way to be innovative: How to backdoor the PRNG
without being noticed ;-).  E.g. on the AES-based PRNG, you could swap entropy
input and counter intput (counter=key, entropy=source), and still produce
something that would pass every random number test, but is fully predictable
from the outside...

So far, the new stuff looks promising.  Access to noise source and entropy
directly is definitely a big improvement.  In the entropy tests I miss those I
do first (because they quickly spot problems): histogram and FFT.

Given that SHA-3 is a NiST-based standard, and Keccak offers a combination of
conditioner and DRBG expander as a single building block, it's a bit strange
that it wasn't added into the recommendation.  Just Dual_EC_DRBG was
dropped...

Does that mean the NSA does not like using Keccak in this mode?

--
Bernd Paysan
net2o ID: kQusJzA;7*?t=uy at X}1GWr!+0qqp_Cn176t4(dQ*