[Cryptech Tech] design software

Jacob jacob at edamaker.com
Wed Jan 20 08:29:39 UTC 2016

I have followed through the recent discussion of design SW choice (we
had a similar discussion in the past), and thought to add my view:

1. There are different tiers of Schematic / PCB layout systems:
The most capable ones for Layout are the Cadence's Allegro and Mentor's
Expedition. For Schematic work is Mentor's DxDesigner and possibly some
Cadence stuff.
Second tier for Layout are Mentor's PADS and Altium. Schematics is
Cadence's OrCAD and possibly some Altium stuff or PADS Logic.
Third tier and below are the rest of the programs out there.

Disclaimer1: there may be some recent new entries positioned at
different tiers that I am not aware of.
Zuken has some good stuff, but historically was strong at analog design.
I don't know much about them. They are rare though in the westerm
hemisphere.
Disclaimer2: I am totally unfamiliar with KiCAD. It may be a powerful
system, but I know that it lacks interfaces to required supportive
systems e.g. SI tools.

2. The 1st/2nd tier programs have features that the third tier programs
do not. Just doing the check list (and Altium/Protel was an ace in this
regard) does not guarantee that the required feature works as desired.

3. It is extremely difficult to separate a man from his tried and true
tool-of-the-trade.
It takes years of experience with a complex tool to feel knowledgeable
and comfortable with it.
There is quite a bit of weight for selecting the best tool for the job,
regardless if it is commercial closed-source or not. But you take
whatever you can afford, and if you can only afford volunteers, you take
what they have.

4. There are conversion utilities to convert from one format to another.
Some converters are integrated within the specific target system, some
are open source, some are commercial.
There are always issues when converting, which may require a few days to
iron out, but connectivity is usually straightforward (unless done by
complex copper areas) so you can support relevant auditing by comparing
the net list generated from the source to that of the target layout.

5. I totally agree with Peter on auditing: nobody will do that. How many
did audit Truecrypt? Even the "opencryptaudit" organization, after
raising some good money, did only a partial job. Besides, let's first
see the users fully audit the software, which is 90+% of the whole
project, before going after a funny component or a rogue copper trace.
However, users will feel fuzzy and warm to know that if they so desire,
they can convert the schematic/layout and audit.

6. I myself use PADS (many years of experience). The database is fully
documented ASCII. Allegro, Expedition and Altium can read it. A company
in Europe sells a bi-dir converter from/to Eagle at less than 1KEuro or
so. I personally may do designs also in Allegro/Expedition, but not with
any other system.