[Cryptech Tech] design software

Randy Bush randy at psg.com
Sun Jan 17 21:44:35 UTC 2016

>> most toolsets have free readers.
> The readers usually lack plenty of functionality for working
> efficiently.

luckily this is not a problem with the lower cost design and layout
tools.  and the time of our design engineers is an infinite resource.
</sarcasm>

we are extremely resource constrained.  at the same time, we are trying
to make reusable and extensible designs.  and we are trying to make as
reliable and professional a first board as we can.  these are too often
in serious tension.

the one engineer on the team who has a track record of alpha board level
(and above) design does not have the time to do it in eagle.  and if we
go outside for design, the cost/design-tool trade-off is constrained.
e.g. the $0.07/pin house we found does not do eagle, let alone more
open/free tools.  of course, we are talking with others.  references and
recommendations solicited.

but this thread was intended to draw some feedback from the cryptech
potential [re]use community, and not so much as yet another internal
discussion of our foss philosophies.

randy