[Cryptech Tech] design software

★ STMAN ★ stman at riseup.net
Sun Jan 17 18:54:02 UTC 2016

Yes, it is somehow very similar.

Boardmaker exists since maybe 20 years.

It has been evoluting a lot with time. They added all the goodies that can be found in the best commercial PCB softwares available, like 3D packages to generate 3D « Autocad » files of the PCB with all the components on it.

The thing is, I have been using it since it was created, and all those PCB softwares are complex to learn if you want to be fully autonomous (Being able to do everything by yourself, even create new component footprints that are not in libraries and so on), so when a user is familiar to one, unless there is a functionnality not implemented, he’d better stay withy what he handles/knows best…

I think it is almost impossible to handle correctly any PCB software without a training lessons from its publisher or from another engineer that was trained to it, unless one want to be restricted to a very basic usage.

The cost of such training lesson must be taken in account when choosing a software. By the way, training lessons are ofa very reasonable price too for boardmaker.

By the way, if some engineers on this mailing list want to use Boardmaker3 and need assistance, I am okay to offer for free my time/knowledge for free to help them with boardmaker basics or tricky things.

The projects (The FPGA USB Processor-less and driver-less hardcoded stack, and my Anti-Buffer-Overflow and Anti-Stack-Overflow and Anti-R.O.P FPGA based secure processor) I am working on and that will be published here in the future have been done with Xilinx ISE FPGA DEsign Suite 14.7, Microchip MPLAB IDE 3.20, and Boardmaker3 for the Schematics/PCB, and I will of course offer assistance to any new user that wish to re-use my developments for a custom project but who is not familiar with any of these SDK’s, in particular Boardmaker3 as it is not as commonly used as Eagle is, but there are still a interesting community of users who still use Boardmaker3.

Kind regards,

Frederic.