[Cryptech Tech] ARM Serial Wire Debug

Peter Stuge peter at stuge.se
Sat Jan 16 23:10:44 UTC 2016

Randy Bush wrote:
> an article on using the SWD interface on the Cortex M0.

Glad that you found some information about it! It's a lower pin count
interface than JTAG but still provides access to an ADIv5 DAP as JTAG
does. SWD however does not support boundary scan, it's rather a
software-only matter.

If you want to try it out I'd probably recommend getting one of the
dev boards from Fredrik/Paul/Rob/me that were at one meeting this
summer since that's what this project has collective experience with.

As an alternative, and I think this is much better than the ST boards,
I'd recommend buying a Black Magic Probe dongle, which emulates a
serial port over hipster USB, to which gdb can connect directly,
accessing the Cortex-M as a remote target.

Plug and play remote debugging is very much the norm now.

//Peter