[Cryptech Tech] FT232H EEPROM for Alpha

Fredrik Thulin fredrik at thulin.net
Mon Feb 1 18:03:03 UTC 2016

Hi

The FTDI chips we will use for USB<->UART communications on the Alpha boards
can use an EEPROM chip to store settings. The settings are for example USB
vendor/product ID numbers, but also a boatload of settings (see the datasheet
for details).

We think we will get by with just the default settings if we don't care about
the cosmetics with VID/PID for the Alpha, but what if we change our minds?

I would like to suggest adding an EEPROM to the schematics, but not populating
it in the first manufacturing run. Does anyone see any downside to this?

The recommended EEPROM unfortunately does not have a write protect pin, and I
haven't had the time to look for a possible replacement chip - if anyone knows
of one, that would be another option.