[Cryptech Tech] Comments on Alpha board schematics

Rob Austein sra at hactrn.net
Mon Feb 1 03:59:50 UTC 2016

At Thu, 28 Jan 2016 09:01:53 +0100, Randy Bush wrote:

> > I think I've heard that some people are of a different opinion though
> > - for example I think I've heard that some people want to always use
> > "fresh" entropy for generating long term cryptographic keys
>
> 'those people' would be the ones writing the code and are on this list.
> they might comment :)

If it's me to whom you're referring...I have no real idea what grounds
I would have for preferring fresh green entropy over vintage entropy,
assuming that the vintage entropy has not spoiled while in storage.

I could go on with the food analogies at some length, but you get the
idea.  What I care about is the quality and secrecy of the CSPRNG
output.  Obviously the fresher the entropy, the shorter the window for
its secrecy to be broken, but if there's any other straightforward
linkage between entropy freshness and key quality I don't see it.

[Jackson Hole got .66 meters of fresh snow in the last 48 hours, so
don't expect me to be answering email promptly this week.]