[Cryptech Tech] turtles all the way down

Olof Kindgren olof.kindgren at gmail.com
Thu Apr 7 12:53:45 UTC 2016

On Thu, Apr 7, 2016 at 2:13 PM, Rob Austein <sra at hactrn.net> wrote:
> Cool beans.
>
> uClinux...was one of those exciting environments designed to help
> novice programmers rediscover why MMUs were invented: without an MMU,
> everything's part of the kernel, whether it knows it or not -- whee!
> So porting J Random off-the-shelf userspace program to uClinux is
> pretty easy, but you may end up regretting it....

I really don't understand why anyone would bother doing uClinux on a
soft CPU nowadays. We've been running full Linux on OpenRISC for 10
years and been in the mainline kernel since 3.1. Leon can also run
Linux, and one of the RISC-V cores is starting to get Linux support
too. I've seen those J core guys before, and I would recommend that
they try to plug into an existing ecosystem instead of reinventing
everything (build systems, CPU, debugging, toolchains, peripheral
cores, utilities, board ports.. etc) from scratch

//Olof