[Cryptech Tech] Another (P)RNG test suite

Benedikt Stockebrand bs at stepladder-it.com
Tue Nov 24 16:38:14 UTC 2015

Hi Joachim and list,

thanks for the link!

What really freaks me out a bit is this (from the manual, page 2):

     Cryptologists use different quality criteria for RNGs.  Their main
     concern is unpredictability of the forthcoming numbers.  Their
     theoretical analysis of RNGs is usually asymptotic, in the
     framework of computational complexity theory [66, 69]

where [66] is Knuth's Art of Computer Programming Vol II and [69] is
apparently a statistical paper from 1993 which at least is listed on the
author's home page in "Cryptography papers", but which again only
addresses PRNGs.

And of course it's not a ready-to-run tool like dieharder, but a
library.  Looks like it's worth a closer look as soon as I find the
time, though.

Cheers,

    Benedikt

--
Benedikt Stockebrand,                   Stepladder IT Training+Consulting
Dipl.-Inform.                           http://www.stepladder-it.com/

          Business Grade IPv6 --- Consulting, Training, Projects

BIVBlog---Benedikt's IT Video Blog: http://www.stepladder-it.com/bivblog/