[Cryptech Tech] dev-bridge board

Pavel Shatov meisterpaul1 at yandex.ru
Tue Nov 17 14:06:29 UTC 2015

On 17.11.2015 7:16, Paul Selkirk wrote:

> 2) Merged Pavel's activelow branch, and propagated that out to the rest
> of the cores (eim, core_selector, modexps6).
>
> Both core/platform/novena activelow branch and
> user/shatov/novena-fmc-arbiter include new versions of the clock
> manager, to avoid using the Xilinx Clocking Wizard IP core. As far as I
> can tell, the only real difference between them is whether the IBUFGDS
> is in or out of the DCM module. Since I had already merged the
> novena-fmc-arbiter version, I went with that one.

Well, my original idea behind moving IBUFGDS into DCM module was to keep
all Xilinx-specific stuff in one place. Some time ago we had a
discussion on the list regarding vendor-specific stuff. As far as I
remember, we came to a conclusion, that we should try to avoid using
vendor-specific features when possible, and when we have to use
vendor-specific primitives, we should place then in separate "wrapper"
modules and clearly document that. That's why I decided, that it would
be better to move IBUFGDS into the module, where there are DCM_SP and
BUFG already.

Anyways, you're completely right, this modification doesn't affect
*functionality* of the design in any way. It's more of a cosmetic
change, that can make our code a tiny bit more vendor-independent.

--
With best regards,
Pavel Shatov