[Cryptech Tech] Tech Digest, Vol 24, Issue 3

Rob Austein sra at hactrn.net
Mon Nov 9 08:08:03 UTC 2015

Folks, Peter was asking about graphics, Markdown is useless there.

Peter, glad to meet somebody else who appears to share my preference
for vector graphics formats :)

potrace is OK if you strongly prefer to draw by hand, can do pretty
pictures when drawing by hand (I can't), and are OK with the result
being black-and-white (you said bitmap, so I suspect you understand
what you're proposing there).  My only real concern with potrace (an
awesome program which I've used occasionally, although never for any
terribly serious purpose) is that the graphics it generates are rather
large, because it's trying to reverse engineer curves from pixels
rather than starting out with the right curves.

If it were me, I'd probably use Inkscape or Graphviz, preferably the
latter.  I'm a programmer, so I like Graphviz, because it lets me
write programs to draw my pictures rather than trying to draw them
myself.  When I absolutely must draw them myself, Inkscape is about as
good as it gets (particularly if I can bribe my artist daughter into
driving it for me).

But before you put a lot of effort into anything in this space, I'd
strongly suggest that you coordinate with Heather, our doc guru.