[Cryptech Tech] Alpha board block diagram v0.001

Benedikt Stockebrand bs at stepladder-it.com
Thu Mar 26 08:06:46 UTC 2015

Hi folks,

sorry for the delay again, but as usual I'm just catching up on things.

Павел Шатов <meisterpaul1 at yandex.ru> writes:

> I believe, what we actually need is FT232R from FTDI or maybe CP2104
> from SiLabs.

Aside from the fact that FTDI really screwed things up with their driver
stunt (bricking counterfeit chips, search for FTDIgate if you need
details) these chips have a rather nasty problem: They can be externally
reprogrammed through the USB interface without any external jumper or
whatever to turn that capability off.

I don't even want to know what else you can do with these from outside
(documented or undocumented), but I don't consider them trustworthy and
I wouldn't be surprised if they lose so many customers over this that
they may (be) run out of business; I personally won't consider them a
medium to long term option anymore.

Cheers,

    Benedikt

--
Benedikt Stockebrand,                   Stepladder IT Training+Consulting
Dipl.-Inform.                           http://www.stepladder-it.com/

          Business Grade IPv6 --- Consulting, Training, Projects

BIVBlog---Benedikt's IT Video Blog: http://www.stepladder-it.com/bivblog/