[Cryptech Tech] AES SIV mode for key wrapping?

Fredrik Thulin fredrik at thulin.net
Wed Mar 18 09:10:12 UTC 2015

On Tuesday, March 17, 2015 08:41:43 PM Russ Housley wrote:
> Paul:
> > Yes  but if we were just doing FIPS, this project would only implement
> > Suite B / FIPS algorithms.
>
> I'm not saying that.  I'm saying that by including AES KEY-WRAP we will let
> someone go that way if they wish.  If we do not include it, this path will
> not be available.

Saying the path will not be available is making it sound worse than it would
be IMO.

Not taking a stance for either SIV or KEY-WRAP here, but the good thing with
an open design is that everyone can make any changes they find necessary -
such as adding KEY-WRAP support before FIPS certifying a derivate. Actually,
someone might just contribute KEY-WRAP support and we'll have both.