[Cryptech Tech] Alpha board BOM and PCB design requirements

Fredrik Thulin fredrik at thulin.net
Mon Mar 9 15:44:42 UTC 2015

On Monday, March 09, 2015 11:59:30 PM Randy Bush wrote:
> yay!!!  fantastic!!!
>
> why is keystore memory not mounted?

The latest rounds of discussions (on list, after Jakob and Joachims use cases
IIRC) seemed to be that the keys would be stored (wrapped) in the ARM external
storage. Only master key (unwrapping key) would be stored in the Master Key
Memory connected to the FPGA.

> > The memory is connected to the FPGA with SPI interface. The memory is
> > connected to the FPGA with the same SPI interface.
>
> some doubling here

Right, changed to "The MKM is connected to the FPGA with SPI interface. The
MKM is connected to the Tamper Sub System with the same SPI interface. "

> entropy source should have link to schematic

Yes - I was thinking we (ermm, I) would make a separate schematic with the
exact parts of the existing schematic that would go onto the Alpha PCB. Not
done yet.

> why not spec a much larger sd card?  2g seems a bit small

I guess our fingers aren't tall enough to reach higher up into the air? =). No,
seriously, what would be the use case (asked as a way to derive what size is
actually needed, on the Alpha board - is it logs, OS, gazillions of keys or
what)?

> external ddr3 is how large?

What do you suggest?

> thank you, thank you, thank you.

You are welcome. Thank you.

I spotted another error in the text:

> The Tamper Sub System controller can read and write to the memory

This was a typo. The intent was that the Tamper MCU should only be allowed to
write to the Master Key Memory. Changed "can read and write" into "can only
write".