[Cryptech Tech] SHA-3 and Ed25519

Joachim Strömbergson joachim at secworks.se
Fri Mar 6 16:01:27 UTC 2015

Павел Шатов wrote:
> What do you mean when you say big? This SHA-3 core is 500 lines of
> code, your sha512_core.v is about the same (600). Synthesis results
> are again somewhat similar to your SHA-512 core (4500 LUTs for SHA-3,
> 4400 LUTs for your SHA-512).

Big in terms of resources in the FPGA. Compared to other SHA-3 cores.
For example Guido Bertonis old reference design from the SHA-3 compo.

> I don't quite understand this. Does Apache license allow us to have
> a copy of SHA-3 source code in our repository retaining all the
> original copyright information or not?

I believe so, but IANAL.

> What maintenance are you taking about? According to information on
> OpenCores their SHA-3 was updated more then 2 years ago, the source
> code should be stable.

Let me rephrase it. What we are trying to do in Cryptech is to develop a
HSM platform that we and other ca trust. One way we do that is to have
control of and traceability in the source code. That is why we sign all
commits for example and run our own servers.

The SHA-3 core on OpenCores is stable and we would probably not need to
do any changes. But how do we detect if/when there are any changes to
the code and how do we inform our users? How do we provide traceability
for changes on OpenCores server. If we just point to the repo at
OpenCores we could not really claim that it could be trusted at a given
time.

 Joachim Strömbergson          Secworks AB          joachim at secworks.se