[Cryptech Tech] Alpha board main CPU change

Benedikt Stockebrand bs at stepladder-it.com
Mon Jun 1 06:17:06 UTC 2015

Hi Warren and list,

Warren Kumari <warren at kumari.net> writes:

> Intuitively it feels like they don't (just pretend that the extra RNG
> outputs a stream of 0), but I seem to remember someone knowledgeable
> saying that N sources of entropy is better than N + 1, where the
> attacker controlls the +1...

provided that the outputs of the streams aren't correlated, then yes,
you are right.  However, the real problems here are once again auditing
and testing.  If any of the streams isn't properly understood, then you
can't validate the output properly any longer.

> Makes no sense, but then again that's how I often feel when talking
> about random :-

Welcome to the club:-)

Cheers,

    Benedikt

PS: About your problems with the ARRGH board on a Mac (@everyone: That's
    from a little chat at RIPE70) the reason may actually be that the
    chips I used were actually counterfeit ones with some sort of
    compatibility problem with the Mac.

--
Benedikt Stockebrand,                   Stepladder IT Training+Consulting
Dipl.-Inform.                           http://www.stepladder-it.com/

          Business Grade IPv6 --- Consulting, Training, Projects

BIVBlog---Benedikt's IT Video Blog: http://www.stepladder-it.com/bivblog/