[Cryptech Tech] Alpha status

Jacob jacob at edamaker.com
Fri Jul 24 21:34:36 UTC 2015

I will try to explain while referring to the attached pictures.

1. SignallingLoopConcept.png depicts, in a very conceptual and basic
form, the current path of a generic signal traveling from a driver gate
to a receiver gate.
One needs to keep the current flow as short as possible (for proper SI)
AND to have a current loop area as small as possible (to minimize
radiated emission).

One also wants to have the lowest possible inductance on the return path
(i.e. grounds) for proper signalling (hence the use of copper planes).

What happens if the receiver gate (gate B) sees a different ground than
the driver gate (gate A), e.g. when one gate is connected to GND and the
other gate to AGND? Let's follow the signal:
Gate A raises a voltage pulse. For that pulse to go downstream and do
any useful work at gate B, it needs to generate current flow (please
excuse the unscientific explanation).
Now, to have current flow the signal needs to return to the sender and
close the flow loop. However, if gate A is connected to GND and gate B
to AGND (or vice versa), then the pulse signal will exit from the AGND
pin at receiver gate B and search for a path to the driver gate A's GND
- as long a path as it takes. If the path is too long, we will have a
bad circuit (noisy, poor switching waveform, radiating etc.)

2. In our circuit, the two different grounds are only connected together
under the noise circuit cage, so if you look at NoiseCircuit_PS.jpg you
see that we have a problem: The local Power Supply for the Noise Circuit
is actually C4, but it is connected to GND and not to AGND as the rest
of the noise components.
This is even worse that a driver-receiver couple, since ANY signal
referencing AGND will not easily find its current supply ground.
In addition, we also lose the isolation between the GND and the AGND
circuitry.

------FIX----------
Put C4 right at the entry of the analog region, and connect its terminal
to AGND. This will establish a smaller area current loop between the
analog PS and its consumers. The filter R6-C4 will serve as the isolator
between the GND and AGND.

3. Now to U2 - The Digitizer. See Digitizer_CurrentPath.jpg
This part is connected to AGND which is good - it establishes a proper
ground closure with the noise diodes/amplifier.

However, its output (net DIGITIZER) goes to a far-away FPGA which is
connected to GND.
That DIGITIZER signal will have hard time, after visiting the FPGA, to
find its AGND to close the current loop (the DIGITIZER signal, although
generated by a component referenced to AGND, will travel down over a GND
reference plane, thus losing any SI benefits). This will also create a
very large current loop in the process.

--------- FIX-----------
Install a fast optocoupler at the output of U2. This will isolate the
DIGITIZER/AGND from the DIGITIZER_FPGA/GND. Per scope pictures at the
wiki, the DIGITIZER frequency is 1-2 MHz. A fast 10 mbps optocoupler
(several vendors have such parts) will nicely do the job here.

NOTE: the above comments on the existing layout do not imply that the
circuit will not work. However, they do imply that it will probably not
work well: When you have unfiltered lengthy ground loops outside the
cage, this causes signal interference and information leakage. Depending
of the quality of the ground planes, the circuit may not work at all
under some circumstances (mitigating factor here is the very low
frequency of signals we deal with here). The proposed 2 fixes will make
the analog sub-section more robust and less radiating/leaking.

P.S. DA_IF.jpg shows the existing layout of the Digital-Analog Interface
section (annotated) for reference.

Hope this helps.

Jacob