[Cryptech Tech] EIM Baseline Project

Joachim Strömbergson joachim at secworks.se
Sat Jan 31 08:19:04 UTC 2015

I've now created a Cryptech repo for your baseline:

git at git.cryptech.is:test/novena_base

All of the source files and docs are there.

I've browsed through the code and I'm impressed. In general very clean
code and I like the structure. If this works you have removed a big
issue for Cryptech. I really liked the clean ucf file and the clocking.

The documentation was very good to add. I agree with what you suggested
in the design documentation. Esp having page zero for board level
information. One could potentially have some test functionality there
too to allow fast check that integration into a platform works before
adding cores.

We should probably also have some sort of high level order of cores -
things like hash functions in one group, symmetric ciphers in another,
assymetric functions in a third, utilities and storage in the next etc.

When it comes to the SW I think we probably want to move the actual EIM
settings into a separate lib.

Paul and Rob could you look at whats in the sw/ and the doc/ and comment
on both the code and what is suggested in the documentation.

You were able to lower the EIM bclock(!). We might want to run it a bit
higher later on, but 33 MHz is good enough for now. One thing about the
133 MHz, the i.MX6 reference manual actually states that max frequency
is 133 MHz. So the data sheet and the reference manual are in conflict.
If Bunnie and Xobs can do 133 MHz, the ref manual is probably right. But
running it at 33 MHz or 66 MHz when we don't need more is much better.

The core clock at 80 MHz seems a little bit excessive at the moment if
the bclock is running at 33 MHz. I think we might want to drop it back
to 50 MHz again to make it easier to integrate cores. We can then
increae the core clock and bclock when everything seems to work.

That is it for now. Will start doing actual testing after breakfast.

Once again, very good job!

 Joachim Strömbergson          Secworks AB          joachim at secworks.se