[Cryptech Tech] goals / use cases

Peter Gutmann pgut001 at cs.auckland.ac.nz
Sat Jan 31 01:58:16 UTC 2015

Warren Kumari <warren at kumari.net> writes:

>The keys (eventually) live in a widget in a security envelope, that gets
>wrapped in e.g fine wire mesh and then dunked in epoxy with environmental
>sensors for extreme cold, vibration, light, etc and integrated battery to
>zeroize when it senses tamper. The standard "real" HSM type stuff.

Do you have any idea just how *hard* it is to do that?  This is something for
release 3.x, or maybe 4.x, when all of the other problems have been sorted
out.

>I have a feeling we are talking past each other soemwhere...

Not really.  I'm trying to point out that while you can wish for anything you
want in an HSM (for example I know some folks who'd pay very good money for a
compact, radiation-hardened HSM that'll run off a 48V bus, but I'm not going
to add that to the wishlist), you need to set some practical, achievable
goals.

If I was asked to budget for what's being wished for, and completely pulling
this out of thin air since I haven't sat down to figure it out in detail, I'd
ask for 3-4 hand-picked FTE's (i.e. I'd choose people I knew had lots of
experience in doing this), a minimum of several years to produce something
(there's a lot more R than D going to be involved in product R&D), and a
budget in the 6-7 figure range.

Implementing all of what's on the (apparent) wishlist is a really huge
project.  What I'm trying to do is point out that we need to set priorities
for some of the goals, this ==> is achievable within X months and Y cost so
worth doing, this ==> will take X more months and Y cost and should be
deferred until version 2, that sort of thing.

Peter.