[Cryptech Tech] Tor consensus use case (was: goals / use cases)

Linus Nordberg linus at nordberg.se
Thu Jan 29 13:22:06 UTC 2015

Randy Bush <randy at psg.com> wrote
Sat, 24 Jan 2015 21:19:01 +0900:

| folk such as rob, jakob, and linus (on family leave) should be able to
| transform the dnssec, rpki, and tor consensus use cases into estimates
| of the number of keys, rate of change, algorithms, need for speed to
| validate, etc.

Tor status votes are signed once per hour using an authority signing key
[0]. Status votes are verified ~10 times per hour (by directory
authorities, which is what we care about for this use case).

The outcome of the voting, a consensus status ("the consensus"), is
signed once per hour as well. Consensus statuses are verified ~10 times
per hour.

The digest algorithm used is SHA1 or SHA256.
The signing algorithm is RSA.
The key size is 2048-4096.

[0] https://gitweb.torproject.org/torspec.git/plain/dir-spec.txt section 1