[Cryptech Tech] goals / use cases

Joachim Strömbergson joachim at secworks.se
Thu Jan 29 09:47:51 UTC 2015

Peter Gutmann wrote:
> =?UTF-8?B?Sm9hY2hpbSBTdHLDtm1iZXJnc29u?= <joachim at secworks.se>
> writes:
>
>> I'm not worried cores in the SoC don't conform to FIPS 197 or FIPS
>> 180-4 for example.
>
> I am.  The DSA/ECDSA family (paranoia: thoughtfully provided to us by
> the NSA) is a perfect host for any manner of subliminal channels for
> leaking keys.

DSA/ECDSA is not the same thing as AES (FIPS 197) or SHA-1 (FIPS 180).
When it comes to EC and RSA I think we probably are on the same level of
paranoia.

> No they wouldn't.  You can perform infinite amounts of black-box
> testing and not be able to detect them.  This is something where you
> really do need to trust (or verify) your implementation.  This is why
> I pointed out that the AES and SHA-1 cores were deterministic, which
> makes them safe (enough) to use. DSA/ECDSA are nondeterministic and
> very easy to slip subliminal channels into, which is why if you do
> anything in an FPGA you'd want it to be these ones.

Come on, we _are_ discussing pros and cons for using the "perfectly
functional" (as you stated) AES and SHA-1 cores for our own cores in the
FPGA. And for these cores (AES, SHA-1), the functionality is, again as
you say, deterministic. And therefore I am not worried that there are
_functional_ (that is, they give other bitwise results out for a given
input) backdoors that wouldn't be fairly easy to observe.

You are moving the goal posts.

 Joachim Strömbergson          Secworks AB          joachim at secworks.se