[Cryptech Tech] goals / use cases

Joachim Strömbergson joachim at secworks.se
Sun Jan 25 18:38:49 UTC 2015

Randy Bush wrote:
> M vs A seems to be how much do you want to pay in power and bucks
> for more compute, with A being the higher powered.  i do not think we
> are in the low power game unless we aim for a thumb drive (with a
> $350 fpga?). any cost difference between arms will be dwarfed by the
> fpga.

And the amount of cruft/HW-functions in the MCU we won't use but will be
in there. Touch screen interfaces, GPUs, Ethernet MAC/PHYs etc. You are
supposed to be able to turn them off and not leak any info. But I'd
rather not having them there. (That said. It is quite often the exakt
same die with the different features enabled/disabled during the final
stages of manufacturing.)

For me the sequence is basically:

(1) Establish the use cases and their performance requirements.

(2) Derive the requirements on CPU, FPGA and the interface between them
based on (1).

(3) Do test implementation of cryptlib on ARM M3, M4, A8, A9 or so to
see size requirements and performance we get from the different
versions. Select probable CPU model (M3, M7, A9 etc) based on the
results and requirements in (2).

(4) Survey the market and find a couple of CPUs that seems to match the
requirements in (2) and (3) that comes with as little baggage as possible.

(5) Decide on interface between FPGA and CPU.

(6) Develop, test and profit.

The last stage might have to be split up somewhat...

 Joachim Strömbergson          Secworks AB          joachim at secworks.se