[Cryptech Tech] goals / use cases

Joachim Strömbergson joachim at secworks.se
Sun Jan 25 18:30:30 UTC 2015

Leif Johansson wrote:
>> Joachim has made a proposal for an FPGA. Although $350 per FPGA
>> sounded pricey even for an Alpha board to me, I think he put
>> forward good reasons for that size of FPGA so I won't object.
>
> Me neither. Even if this was a price issue at this point (which it
> is not really) paying on the order of 1-2k for an HSM is still almost
> 2 orders of magnitude cheaper that what I pay now for commercial
> HSMs

I would like to aim for the Cyclone 5GX-7C device. The reason is that we
(and anybody that wants to build our design) can use the tools available
at no monetary cost. For the C9 device Quartus costs 2 kUSD for a
Windows license and 4 kUSD for a Linux version. I think that will be
much more problematic.

>> What methodology can we use to choose MCU? I think the choice at
>> this time is either for an ARM Cortex M4 (later on perhaps upgraded
>> to pin compatible new M7), or Cortex A8/A9. I think both will work
>> for this "not necessarily fast" target, but there would/could be a
>> huge difference in how we do development in the next year or so
>> based on this choice.

M3 or M4. Whatever can support the space (code and data) as well as
performance requirements. We need to look at the requirement spec and
then match with what performance we seem to get. The bigger devices
comes with more and more complex HW stuff that we don't want to have and
I therefore rather have M3 than M4 or M7. I haven't really looked at the
A-series. If we can get a CPU there with little extra functionality we
don't need and no blobs that I'm all for it.

 Joachim Strömbergson          Secworks AB          joachim at secworks.se