[Cryptech Tech] Survey of FPGA devices for the new board

Bernd Paysan bernd at net2o.de
Tue Jan 13 19:25:59 UTC 2015

Am Dienstag, 13. Januar 2015, 18:07:48 schrieb Joachim Strömbergson:
> Aloha!
>
> Here is a short survey of FPGAs for the new board. Right now I've only
> looked at the offerings from Altera. The reason for this is that I
> personally think their tools are much better and esp more user friendly
> than similar offerings from Xilinx. I'm sure there are those who
> disagrees violently about this. But just based on what Paul and Rob has
> experienced with ISE so far, having as user friendly tools as possible
> is good for the project adaptation.

My experience is also that Altera's tools are easier to use, while the devices
themselves are roughly equal to Xilinx's offerings.

If you run out of gates, it's a good idea to look at which parts of the design
consume the most gates, and try to make them smaller (at cost of performance).

--
Bernd Paysan
http://bernd-paysan.de/