[Cryptech Tech] arm

Rob Austein sra at hactrn.net
Sat Jan 10 11:49:17 UTC 2015

At Sat, 10 Jan 2015 10:51:17 +0100, Randy Bush wrote:

> > "All RTOS components must be free of any GPL-like virus or restrictions "
> > This means that we can not use seL4 kernel?
> > http://sel4.systems/
>
> as sel4 is GPL2, it seems so
>
> the cryptech project is very serious about not restricting use of its
> designs.

There is, of course, nothing preventing users from porting Cryptech
project designs to a seL4 platform themselves.

Ignoring the license issue for a moment, seL4, while interesting, is
probably heavier weight than we need anyway.  Our current vision for
the green layer (the code running on a conventional CPU inside the
tamper boundary) is more of a classic deeply embedded system: we need
a boot loader and a few device drivers, but we may not even use an
RTOS per se, so no operating system kernel, no preemptive scheduler,
no threading, no memory protection.  The intent is less to conserve
resources (memory is cheap) than to minimize the attack surface and
the total volume of code that a cautious user would need to review.

We're currently investigating http://mbed.org/technology/os/, which
seems like it might be a good fit and which is Apache 2.0 licensed.