[Cryptech Tech] Alpha board strategy

Павел Шатов meisterpaul1 at yandex.ru
Mon Feb 23 16:35:39 UTC 2015

Hello!

I want to suggest an idea regarding our Alpha Board. I came across this
website today: http://www.imx6rex.com/

They offer two boards. The first one is a very small (7x4 cm) module
containing i.MX6Q CPU and up to 4 GB of DDR3-1066 memory. External
interfaces are connected to two expansion headers.

The second board is a development baseboard (carrier) for this module,
it contains power supply and all the other components.

The design is completely open, and here is description of their license
policy:
http://www.imx6rex.com/2013/11/the-imx6-rex-module-design-licensing/

What I like about this module, is that if we use it, we won't have to do
DDR3-1066 memory and 0.8 mm BGA layout, which should be most difficult
parts of our Alpha Board. Basically what we need to do is to develop
another carrier board for this module with an FPGA (or two), which is by
all means possible. The only problem is that this module doesn't have
EIM interface exposed, so we will have to replace EIM arbiter with
SPI/UART/MMC/SD/... arbiter, which is not difficult at all.

Another benefit is that they have all the necessary information on their
website (schematics, layout, stackup, bill of materials, etc). We can
review their design to make sure that there's nothing suspicious in it
and order pre-assembled boards from them, or use their layout and bill
of materials to order boards from another vendor.

We can even order their baseboard and start porting our system to it,
while we are developing our own custom carrier.

What do you think?

--
With best regards,
Pavel Shatov