[Cryptech Tech] PCB prototyping machine [Was: BCP prototyping machine]

Benedikt Stockebrand bs at stepladder-it.com
Fri Feb 20 18:11:46 UTC 2015

Hi Pavel and list,

Шатов Павел <meisterpaul1 at yandex.ru> writes:

> Guys, I believe that you underestimate complexity of a board that we
> are going to produce. BGA packages were not designed to be soldered by
> hand[...]

your reasoning here is right to the final board, but Fredrik, and to a
lesser degree myself, have spent serious time waiting for simple two
layer boards for e.g. the HWRNG circuitry.

These things are of little use to build the prototypes for the full
board, but they do simplify prototyping of the more peripheral parts
quite tremendously.

Aside from that, if we can get matchingbreakout boards for the BGA
chips, or preferably get breakout boards with the BGA chips already
soldered on by a commercial manufacturer, then these devices may also
simplify prototyping of the complete board.

As far as drilling is concerned: I hope there'll be an improved V.2 of
this device with a dremel mount or such, plus a mechanism to
automatically switch cartridges.

The question I currently have however is a completely different one:
What about solder stop mask?  It doesn't seem to cater for that at all.

Cheers,

    Benedikt

--
Benedikt Stockebrand,                   Stepladder IT Training+Consulting
Dipl.-Inform.                           http://www.stepladder-it.com/

          Business Grade IPv6 --- Consulting, Training, Projects

BIVBlog---Benedikt's IT Video Blog: http://www.stepladder-it.com/bivblog/